Asian and American

Asian and American
Japanese Stella near Jefferson and FDR Memorials

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Sep 29 2010

It has been five months already.  WOW, my does time go by FAST!  Of course, I could OT now and talk about how time does fly faster as you get older because your perception of time does slow down thus accelerating time... but it's all relative.
OK, since May's entry, I've gone back to VB, helped at Asahi, got interviewed by Manatee School for the Arts in Palmetto, got hired in July, and started at the new school here in Florida in August.  I left VB on August 8, drove straight down here, about 1300 miles and 16 hours.  Stayed the first night at the Guest INN where I stayed for the interview.  Then moved in with Rich and Becky for two weeks while I waited for the "mother in law suite" offered at 550.  
Rich and Becky had a nice dog and a great cat "Roger" who became my friend very quickly.  The two weeks went quickly and then I moved into this new place on Aug 21.  Much bigger, nicer.  Also has access to a very nice golf course - the Tara Club - for a most reasonable price. 
Started at the new school, MSA, on Aug 12 for new teacher orientation.  There were 14 new hires this year.  And, though I am a new hire, they gave me credit for the past years experience.  I am officially licensed in Florida now as well.  "Integrated Middle School" license.  The full staff returned on Aug 16 and students returned on the 23rd.  It has been a big adjustment thus far. 
Living wise I am enjoying the warm weather.  It's like Hawaii but with mainland advantages.  It's been 92-94 during the day and about 74 at nights.  It's beginning to slowly cool down, but still it's in the 90's and 70's still at the end of September.  The palm trees and all the semitropical flora and fauna are very lovely.  It rains almost every afternoon.  Very tropical.


The school is focused on offering the ARTS - dance, ball room, hip hop, ballet and modern; music - guitar, keyboard, some other instruments; arts both traditional and modern/digital design.  It is a charter school focused on the ARTS with a strong academic focus.  MSA has done better than average on the FCAT the Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test in most areas.  


But, it does have some problems.  The focus is on the arts, so a lot of money has been spent on arts facilities with academics taking a back seat on facilities.  I am in the former 6th grade cafeteria.  It is a large room but I have old cafeteria seats for desks, there is a temporary wall  dividing the class from the hallway, a dance room right next door with loud music most of the time... ah, the joys of being the new guy.  So, I've tried to make lemonade from lemons.  


I have one ADVANCED class, also took over another one from Kevin Gush to help him out.  Then I have three average classes and two classes that are way behind.  Trying to differentiate them as much as I can with process, product and time.  Surprisingly high number of "poor" kids, at-risk groups and almost quarter are Hispanic.  This is going to be a long, trying year.  I hardly have any automation or technology... no white boards, no projector... after a full spectrum of Promethean boards at the last place.  It's hard staying motivated and coming up with good lessons.  Forward and upwards!


And, the home front is still a mire of chaos and diversions.  Children are still struggling to mature.  I am at loss for what to do and how to help.  This is really is getting too much it seems... I'm supposed to be looking forward to retirement and the golden years... guess that's not gonna happen for a long time.  Well, 70 is the new 50!  


OK, enough for one night.  I'll check with you tomorrow... have a good life where ever you are.
God's blessings to you in all things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment